Pentecost Homily - Peace

There seems to be this tendency to associate the Spirit with this GREAT energy...and doing fantastic things.  
Speaking in Tongues!  Seeing Futures!  Levitating!  Going to all parts of the world and doing truly awesome works!
Probably because of that first reading from Acts.

This is not wrong...but it is not quite accurate.  
It can be kind of a trap of sorts, and rob us of really experiencing the Spirit.

I want to break one of my rules for preaching, and talk about my own experience.
15 years ago when I was ordained, I was overcome, overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit.  I felt this incredible sense of being loved! I felt I was on fire, I was vibrating, I felt I was going to explode.  It was the most awesome experience I have ever had, so I thought.

Coming down was hard.  It was one of the worst hangovers I have ever had.
And I wanted more.  I sought for it.  I wanted a repeat performance, and part of my life as a priest and as a man was anticipating that same event, was demanding that experience.  It has yet to come.

I do not think I am alone in this.

We want this Spiritual Experience, an ecstasy almost.  The trap is to think that only those extraordinary moments of HIGHNESS are expressions of the Spirit.

Jesus clearly gives us the real power of the Spirit.  
It is about peace, it is about wholeness.  That peace and wholeness comes from the revelation that we are God’s Children.
The Spirit, always with us, grounds us in the reality that we are God’s children, and we have always been and always will be God’s Children.

This is the Good News.  This is our Salvation.  This is our peace

The Spirit quietly moves us to Love, to experience the Good News.

Where have I experienced the power of the Spirit?  

It was in the father working long and hard so that his son could go to Catholic School,  get a great education, and succeed.  And then this same son, on nights and weekends working along with his Father.  And seeing the absolute pride on the parent’s faces at graduation.

The Power of the Spirit came to a person who had been hurt by others; and empowered that to trust and love in others.

The Power of the Spirit came to some and whispered to them that they are more than their addictions;  and they began the hard journey of taking back their lives.

The Spirit helped a man I know begin to realize he could actually be truly loved; that we was worthy of being loved. It did not matter on his job or status.  The tears that came with that were beautiful to watch.

See, the Holy Spirit came to these people and to us, through locked doors, and helped them and us to find a peace in their lives.  
Not only through a huge wind, not only through a momentous event like an ordination, but that quiet breath.

That whisper that says “It will be okay.  I love you.  You are mine.”

And when we open ourselves to this reality of the Holy Spirit, it is all around us.

It is in the homes and families.  The Spirit resides in nursing homes, hospitals, and addiction centers.  It flows where to people work through their hurts, their fears, their sadness and find better futures.

Its right here, in the quiet, subtle, elegant transformation of the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ, given to us.


Peace is given to us.  And it is simply amazing; when we open ourselves to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

19th Sunday. With just a little faith...

22nd Sunday Following the Messiah

2nd Advent - Finding our way in God's Love